Legislative Day - February 11, 2020
2020 MRTA Legislative Platform
Special Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will work to protect the Missouri public pension retirement plans as defined benefit plans rather than defined contribution plans.
2. MRTA will support the current independent governance and decisions of the Boards of Trustees of the following public education retirement systems: PSRS/PEERS Retirement System, PSRS of Kansas City, MO, and PSRS of the City of St. Louis.
3.MRTA will use all available means to restore the Cost-of-Living Adjustment(COLA) which the PSRS/PEERS Board of Trustees has reduced twice in the past eight years. MRTA supports the restoration of the COLA to pre-2011 levels for PSRS/PEERS of MO retirees.
4. MRTA supports a Cost-of-Living Adjustment increase (COLA) for the retirees of the PSRS of the City of St. Louis and the PSRS of the Kansas City, MO.
5. MRTA will work to protect/maintain access to healthcare coverage for public
school retirees through the school system from which they retired as is mandated
by Missouri Law requiring the same premium cost and the same coverage as the active public school employees.
State Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will support "equal and adequate" public school funding through full funding of the foundation formula for all public schools as mandated by the Missouri Constitution.
2. MRTA will oppose any legislation that would reduce school funding such as Taxpayers Bill of Rights (TABOR) or further reductions that jeopardize public school funding.
3. MRTA will oppose vouchers, education tax credits, education scholarships, or any use of tax dollars for nonpublic schools.
4. MRTA will oppose the statewide expansion of charter schools.
5. MRTA supports accountability for existing charter schools equal to that of public schools.
6. MRTA will support legislation to increase minimum salaries for teachers and the
funding of those increases.
7. MRTA will oppose state mandated consolidation of public schools that meet state standards.
8. MRTA will work to protect/maintain the Missouri state income tax exemptions for public education retirees that MRTA was instrumental in obtaining in 2007 (HB444).
Federal Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will support legislation to repeal/modify the WEP (Windfall Elimination
Provision) and GPO (Government Pension Offset) provisions of Social
2. MRTA will oppose mandatory Social Security for new educators members of PSRS of Missouri.
3. MRTA will oppose privatization of Social Security.
4. MRTA will oppose vouchers, education tax credits, education scholarships or any other use of tax dollars for nonpublic schools.
5. MRTA will oppose the expansion of charter schools.
6. MRTA supports accountability for existing charter schools equal to that of public schools.
7. MRTA supports affordable healthcare to promote financial security for all.
8. MRTA supports affordable prescription drugs to promote financial security for all.
9. MRTA supports efforts that would decrease student loan debt to encourage the recruitment and retention of teachers.
House legislators from the area
District 130 District 131
Rep. Jeff Messenger Rep. Sonya Anderson
Room 410B Room 135AA
Jeffery.Messenger@house. mo.gov Sonya.Anderson@house,mo.gov
District 132 District 133
Rep Crystal Quade Rep. Curtis Trent
Room 105D Room 313-3
District 134 District 135
Rep. Elijah Haahr Rep. Steve Helms
Room 409B Room 411B
District 136 District 137
Rep. Craig Fishel Rep. John Black
Room 1 Room
District 138 District 139
Rep. Don Phillips Rep. Jered Taylor
Room 135 Room 408A
Don.Phillips@house. mo.gov Jered.Taylor@house.mo.gov
District 140 To Mail:
Rep Lynn Morris Name
573-751-2565 201 W Capitol Ave
Room 200BC Room number
Lynn.Morris@house.mo.gov Jefferson City, MO 65101
Senators from this area
District 30 District 20
Sen. Lincoln Hough Sen. Eric Burlison
201 W Capitol Ave.
Jefferson City, MO 65101