Legislative Day - February 15, 2017
2017 MRTA Legislative Platform
Special Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will use all available means to restore the Cost-of-Living Adjustment(COLA) which the PSRS/PEERS Board of Trustees has reduced twice in the past five years. MRTA supports the restoration of the COLA to pre-2011 levels for PSRS/PEERS of MO retirees.
2. MRTA will work to protect the Missouri public pension retirement plans as defined benefit rather than defined contribution plans.
3. MRTA supports a Cost-of-Living Adjustment increase (COLA) for the retirees of the PSRS of the City of St. Louis.
4. MRTA supports legislation to change the retiree seat on the PSRS/PEERS Board of Trustees from an appointed seat to an elected seat.
5. MRTA will support the current independent governance and independent decisions in order to protect/maintain the financial integrity of the Boards of Trustees of the following public education retirement systems: PSRS/PEERS Retirement System, PSRS of Kansas City, MO, and PSRS of the City of St. Louis.
6. MRTA supports reform of the current statues regarding divorce of PSRS/PEERS members. MRTA supports HB 1709 of 2016 (Lair-Dist.7) that allows for benefit pop-up.
7. MRTA supports HB 1710 of 2016 (Lair- Dist. 7) which closes a loophole used by employment services to circumvent the PSRS/PEERS 550 work-after-retirement (W.A.R.) law.
8. MRTA will support an increase of work-after-retirement W.A.R.) limitation from 550 to 800 hours.
9. MRTA will work to protect/maintain access to healthcare coverage for public
school retirees through the school system from which they retired as is mandated
by Missouri Law requiring the same premium cost and the same coverage as the active public school employees.
State Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will support "equal and adequate" public school funding through full funding of the foundation formula for all public schools as mandated by the Missouri Constitution.
2. MRTA will work to protect/maintain the Missouri state income tax exemptions for public education retirees that MRTA was instrumental in obtaining in 2007 (HB444).
3. MRTA will oppose vouchers, expansion of charter schools and the use of tax dollars for nonpublic schools.
4. MRTA will oppose any legislation that would reduce school finding such as Taxpayers Bill of Rights (TABOR).
5. MRTA supports the current Missouri Teacher Law. ( Amendment 3, which would have changed the law, was defeated in 2014)
6. MRTA will support legislation to increase minimum salaries for teachers and the
funding of those increases.
7. MRTA will oppose state mandated consolidation of public schools that meet state standards.
Federal Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will support legislation to repeal/modify the WEP (Windfall Elimination
Provision) and GPO (Government Pension Offset) provisions of Social
2. MRTA will oppose mandatory Social Security for new educators members of PSRS of Missouri.
3. MRTA will oppose privatization of Social Security.
4. MRTA supports accessible healthcare to promote financial security for all.
5. MRTA will oppose vouchers and use of tax dollars for nonpublic schools.
House legislators from the area
District 130 District 131
Rep. Jeff Messenger Rep. Sonya Anderson
Room 410B Room 135AA
Jeffery.Messenger@house. mo.gov Sonya.Anderson@house,mo.gov
District 132 District 133
Rep Crystal Quade Rep. Curtis Trent
Room 105D Room 313-3
District 134 District 135
Rep. Elijah Haahr Rep. Steve Helms
Room 409B Room 411B
District 136 District 137
Rep. Kevin Austin Rep. Lyndall Fraker
Room 135AC Room 110A
District 138 District 139
Rep. Don Phillips Rep. Jered Taylor
Room 135 Room 408A
Don.Phillips@house. mo.gov Jered.Taylor@house.mo.gov
District 140 To Mail:
Rep Lynn Morris Name
573-751-2565 201 W Capitol Ave
Room 200BC Room number
Lynn.Morris@house.mo.gov Jefferson City, MO 65101
Senators from this area
District 30 District 20
Sen. Bob Dixon Sen. Jay Wasson
Room 332 Room 323
201 W Capitol Ave.
Jefferson City, MO 65101