Legislative Day - February 18, 2015
Please vote NO on amendment #3 on November 4
2015 MRTA Legislative Platform
Special Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will work to protect the Missouri public pension retirement plans as defined benefit rather than defind contribution plans.
2. MRTA will work to protect/maintain the financial integrity of PSRS/PEERS Retirement System, PSRS of Kansas City, MO and PSRS of the City of St. Louis.
3. MRTA will work to ptotect/maintain the Missouri state income tax exemptions for public education retirees that MRTA was instrumental in obtaining in 2007 (HB444).
4. MRTA will work to protect/maintain access to healthcare coverage for public
school retirees through the school system from which they retired as is mandated
by Missouri Law requiring the same premium cost and the same coverage as the active public school employee.
5. MRTA will support legislation to repeal/modify the WEP (Windfall Elimination
Provision) and GPO (Government Pension Offset) provisions for Social Security.
State Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will support "equal and adequate" public school funding through full funding of the foundation formula for all public schools as mandated by the Missouri Constitution.
2. MRTA will support the current independent governance and independent investment decisions of the following Boards of Trustees: PSRS/PEERS Retirement System, PSRS of Kansas City, MO and PSRS of the City of St. Louis.
3. MRTA supports the current Missouri Teacher Tenure Law.
4. MRTA will oppose vouchers, the expansion of charter schools and the use of the tax dollars for nonpublic schools.
5. MRTA will support legislation to increase minimum salaries for teachers and the
funding of those increases.
6. MRTA will support a review of the Missouri Tax Credit Program and support reforms that will ultimately benefit Missouri Public Education funding.
7. MRTA will support the full funding of the Parents as Teachers Program and professional development of educators
8. MRTA will oppose state mandated consolidation of public schools that meet state standards.
9. MRTA will oppose any legislation that would reduce school funding such as Taxpayers Bill Of Rights (TABOR).
10. MRTA will support a simple majority for passage of school bonds and an increase in the percentage of bonding capacity for public schools.
Federal Legislative Issues of Interest to MRTA
1. MRTA will support legislation to repeal/modify the WEP (Windfall Elimination
Provision) and GPO (Government Pension Offset) provisions of Social
2. MRTA will oppose mandatory Social Security for new educators.
3. MRTA will oppose privatization of Social Security.
4. MRTA supports affordable and accessible healthcare to promote financial security for all American retirees.
5. MRTA will oppose vouchers and use of tax dollars for nonpublic schools.
House legislators from the area
District 130 District 131
Rep. Jeff Messenger Rep. Sonya Anderson
Room 410B Room 135AA
Jeffery.Messenger@house. mo.gov Sonya.Anderson@house,mo.gov
District 132 District 133
Rep Charlie Norr Rep. Eric Burlison
Room 105D Room 313-3
District 134 District 135
Rep. Elijah Haahr Rep. Lincoln Hough
Room 409B Room 411B
District 136 District 137
Rep. Kevin Austin Rep. Lyndall Fraker
Room 135AC Room 110A
District 138 District 139
Rep. Don Phillips Rep. Kevin Elmer
Room 135 Room 408A
Don.Phillips@house. mo.gov Kevin.Elmer@house.mo.gov
District 140 To Mail:
Rep Lynn Morris Name
573-751-2565 201 W Capitol Ave
Room 200BC Room number
Lynn.Morris@house.mo.gov Jefferson City, MO 65101
Senators from this area
District 30 District 20
Sen. Bob Dixon Sen. Jay Wasson
Room 332 Room 323
201 W Capitol Ave.
Jefferson City, MO 65101